• Breeders should apply for Litter Registration Certificates directly after birth of the litter. All buyers should be issued with a Litter Registration Certificate for their puppy at date of sale. Buyers should be informed on the procedure to obtain transfer of registration.
• Puppies must not be younger than six (6) weeks but preferable eight (8) weeks old prior to leaving the breeder's possession. If couriered, shipped or any other type of delivery is requested, the puppy must be older that seven (7) weeks.
• The breeder should only sell a puppy or adult to a buyer when he is confident that the buyer would care and look after his Jack Russell.
• Sell only to proper homes where the buyers indicate that they have a fair knowledge of Jack Russells and will give the terrier the proper care, attention and exercise required. Inform the buyer on the qualities and weak points of your terriers and do not knowingly use misleading or untruthful statements in selling or advertising. A buyer should be fully aware of any genetic defect or illness that the dog might have before he/she buys the dog.
• All buyers must be provided with the following information: Dietary requirements, general health information and inoculation and de-worming records. It is further recommended that veterinarian provides a general health certificate.
• All breeders should be responsible for terriers sold for their lifetime. If a purchaser cannot keep a terrier the breeder has sold, the breeder should make every effort to assist the buyer in finding an appropriate home. If a new home can not be found the breeder should prepared to take the terrier back and be responsible for placing it in an appropriate home or give it up for rescue.
• Breeders should not knowingly sell or consign puppies or adults to pet shops, brokers or puppy mills, nor supply terriers for raffles, prizes or similar projects.
• The use of a sales contract is recommended when selling a puppy or an adult dog.
This Code of Ethics can be downloaded HERE
to be printed, signed and returned to the SAJRR at the contact details provided.
Application to register as a breeder can be downloaded HERE
. Please note that this download might take a few seconds.